Is your home prepared to face the cold winter months? When winterizing your home, don’t neglect your foundation, crawl space, and home’s exterior. These areas are the most important when it comes to protecting your home against water damage. Look closely for foundation cracks, shifting windows/doors, voids under the concrete surface, and other settlement issues.
Tips for Winterizing Your Home
If you have hairline cracks, seal them up with mortar or expanding foam filler. It’s also crucial to maintain the following areas:
- Remove dead vegetation around the foundation to prevent rotting.
- Kill and rake away weeds that are growing near the foundation.
- Seal entry points for insects and rodents.
- Close and tightly seal any crawl space entrances.
- Inspect the crawl space for rodents or insect infestation.
- Look inside the crawl space for wood rot and signs of moisture.
- Insulate the attic and upper crawl space to prevent water damage.
- Inspect window wells and basement windows to make sure they are properly sealed.
- Look for standing water outside of the crawl space. Invest in a good waterproofing solution to prevent water leaks.
- Tightly seal cellar doors.
Just as inspecting the foundation and crawl space are equally important, so is your home’s exterior. Pay close attention to the following:
- Seal or repair cracks in the driveway, patio, walkway or foundation slab.
- Drain all outdoor water faucets to prevent bursting pipes.
- Examine the exterior of the garage for foundation settlement.
- Cover the air conditioning unit with breathable material.
- Make sure your downspouts are at least six feet away from the foundation.
- Clean gutters by removing debris and leaves.
- Cover or remove patio furniture. Store cushions for the season.
- Make sure gas is drained from lawn care equipment and lawnmowers.
If you have serious foundation cracks that need to be inspected by a specialist, contact Jerry’s Waterproofing immediately. We will inspect your cracks and provide the best repair solution.
With the necessary foundation repairs, you can avoid water damage, water seepage, foundation failure, and structural damage. Contact Jerry’s Waterproofing today if you need more information regarding our services in the Omaha, NE area.