Many homeowners know about radon, but do not quite understand what is is, where it comes from, the dangers it poses, how to detect it, or how to get rid of it. Radon is an odorless, colorless, and tasteless gas that is created by the natural breakdown of radioactive materials in the soil. It rises up out of the soil and naturally dissipates in the open air and is harmless. However, your home is between the soil and the open air, which can trap the gas. If your home has any cracks in the foundation or crawlspace, radon can seep into your home through those cracks. When high levels of radon are stuck within a home, it can cause a variety of health issues for anyone that lives inside.
Dangers of Radon & Symptoms of Radon Poisoning
Radon is dangerous because it can not be detected by human senses. You can’t smell it, see it, hear it, or taste it. If your home has high enough levels of radon gas, it can cause a variety of health problems, including lung cancer. In fact, it’s the second leading cause of lung cancer behind smoking cigarettes. The main symptoms of radon poisoning are:
- Persistent cough
- Wheezing or shortness of breath
- Chest pain (especially when coughing or laughing)
- Frequent cases of pneumonia
- Frequent cases of bronchitis
If you experience any of the symptoms above, you should get radon testing for your NE home.
If your home has high enough levels of radon gas, you may need a radon mitigation system. A radon mitigation system consists of a series of fans installed in and around your home. These fans push the radon gas out of your home and into the open air where it is harmless. Installing a radon mitigation system removes the dangers of radon poisoning. Here at Jerry’s Waterproofing offer radon testing services for the NE area. Please contact us to learn more.