Moisture in your crawl space can bring on some unwelcome issues in your home. High humidity and an unpleasant smell of mold and mildew can certainly make your house uncomfotable. But these issues can have effects on your health, and if the water damage gets worse, it can create more severe foundation problems. At Jerry’s Waterproofing, we believe that knowing the signs of unwanted moisture and having quality crawl space repair will help keep you home in top shape for years to come. Be on the lookout for the following signs:
- Cold upper-level floors during winter
- Rusty metal appliances
- Insect infestation or rodents
- Pooling water
- Wet, damp crawl space floor
- Wet insulation
- Open crawl space vents
- Respiratory issues
- Peeling paint on home’s exterior
- High radon levels
- Wood rot
- Efflorescence on crawl space walls
Benefits of Vapor Barriers
If you come across signs that your crawl space is in need of repair, a good solution to consider is installtion of a vapor barrier. A vapor barrier is a plasic or foil sheeting that provides a non-permeable wall to protect your crawspace from excess moisture and water damage. It can benefit both your quality of life and the value of your home. Notable benefits include:
- Keeps The Elements Out: A vapor barrier helps keep moisture out, preventing growth of mold, wood rot, and pest infestations, making it safer for you and your family.
- Healthy Air Quality: Some of the air in your house comes from the air under your home. When you keep your crawlspace free of mold and mildew, you create a cleaner breathing environment for the whole house.
- Energy Efficient: A crawlspace with too much moisture will have high humidity. High humidity causes your HVAC system to work harder, and when your HVAC works harder, energy bills are bound to go up.
- Usable Space: A wet and moldy crawlspace can make it feel like wasted space. However, when properly protected with a vapor barrier, it can give you the extra square footage you need for storage.
Jerry’s Waterproofing Helps Keep Your Crawl Space Dry
A clean, dry crawlspace is a key component to keeping the structure of your home in shape. Jerry’s Waterproofing offers vapor barriers and other effective waterproofing solutions to prevent damage to your foundation. Contact us today for a free quote.